Friday, November 16, 2012

The Butterfly

I am sometimes asked by friends if I would paint a picture of another piece of art, be it a print, a painting, or an image that appeals to them. The answer is "Yes" and "No"... Let me explain....

I can easily reproduce another piece of artwork, but I won't. Silly as it may seem to most (and in most cases the original artist would never, ever know that there is a reproduction of their piece), it's a matter of principle. I do custom work, but it is original & in my style. I don't like to reproduce other artists works because if you are getting a painting by me, it should be a representation of my talents not someone else's. I see artwork that inspires me on a daily basis, too and "I get it!"
What I like to do is direct my friends towards having a unique piece that is an original by me, using the piece/ image that they love as inspiration!  Some say "Ok!", some take a pass...and that's Ok, too! I do all of my custom work with this option: If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it! I never make anything that I don't absolutely love. If you are not happy, then I am not happy & you shouldn't have to buy it!  I will list it on my website to sell (or hang in my own home)...no worries!

So, with that being said...Here is the process of one such instance. One of my sweet friends' liked an image and wanted it put on canvas! :)  She was up for MY interpretation!!! Sooo fun...I LOVE THIS!

Inspiration: a clothing tag (see below)



Making it "More Personal/ Unique": 
Colors and image are the appeal for my friend. She is not opposed to me rearranging the composition. She is not interested in adding any sayings or other images. She would be happy with a square canvas. Yay...the "wheels are spinning" in my head!

The Process:
I am a big fan of texture. I begin this process, by taping off my background design, then by "scraping" on thick paint. Once it is semi-dry, I peel off the tape. The paint color doesn't matter because I am going to gesso (paint primer) over that anyway.




Then, I sketch out MY butterfly design (notice that I drew one flying at an angle and chose to enlarge it and place it so that it's edges go off of the canvas).

I cut the butterfly out and tape the negative space to the canvas. I am going to build up the texture of the butterfly with a spackling compound (see below).


I wait for it to dry, then gesso the whole canvas so that it is ready to take some paint! So far, time invested is about 2 1/2 hours.

Next up is adding the base colors, then waiting for it to dry to add layers of color over the top (see below). Once again, the hubby comes in to see the painting in progress with the look like "that is so ugly"! I don't have to explain to him anymore...He knows, it's NOT finished! Ha!



 Pearlized paint added next. Wait for it to dry.

 Then, I add the "veins" with black paint in a plastic baggie & the tip snipped off. It comes out pretty thick and fast, so I have to be steady and quick.

 Notice the dental floss. I pull the floss through the wet black paint in all different directions until I get the effect I am going for. After that, I proceed to add more shimmering black paint to the negative space (space around the butterfly). Overall, another 3 1/2 hours spent on the above steps. Let all of this dry, sign and date it, then put 3 coats of spray polyurethane (so as not to smear the paint colors) to protect it.





THE BUTTERFLY
May the wings of the butterfly kiss the sun
And find your shoulder to light on,
To bring you luck, happiness and riches
Today, tomorrow and beyond.
~Irish Blessing


Materials: 12x12 gallery wrapped canvas & paints & misc. materials = $20
Time Spent: 6 hours total (spaced out over a week's time for drying, etc.) @ $10/hr. = $60
Asking Price for a Custom Piece: $80 


To read more about my "beliefs" on artwork and pricing, click on my page (or this link) Anything Artsy  at the top of my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment