Friday, November 23, 2012

My "Funky Finds"!

I have to preface this project by saying that the hardest part of this was done 3 years ago...and, No I didn't take any before pictures. I am getting better at that, though! ;)

This particular piece, I bought at a rummage sale with another table for a total of $50! It was a yellow color with a formica top. I pried the formica top off to find some sort of stainable wood underneath...Yay! I removed the brass pulls (which have aged and look pretty cool), pried off some wood appliques (which is what prompted this next step) and sanded everything down to accept paint and stain. I decided on a rose mahogany stain for the top and a satin black paint for the rest.

I think it turned out pretty well! The only thing that has "bugged me" about it (for the last 3 years and because I have a little OCD) is that when I removed the wood appliques, they left an impression in the front of the middle drawer and no sanding could fix it.

Can you see it???

Here was my plan: I have always liked the harlequin pattern and you will see that I use an aged cream and black  color scheme in a lot of my pieces. I like it's simplicity and classic look...pretty much, goes with anything!

Step 1: Drawing the pattern

Basically, I just used my math skills and a ruler to divide the drawer in half and create even diamonds. When doing this, you might find that you have to adjust your sizes a little bit to make it all even. For example: I wanted to make sure that my hardware was centered in a diamond and that I also had a diamond centered in the drawer, as well. I just made some minor adjustments and no one would be able to tell that each diamond isn't exactly the same size.

Step 2: Adding a Crackle Medium

If you are not comfortable with your freehand skills, then you could tape this off with painters tape.  I applied the crackle medium (generously, but not so much that it would drip) to each diamond. I did this in steps because you only want the crackle to get tacky and to not dry completely before you brush on the top coat of paint. If the crackle medium dries, it won't crackle your paint.

Step 3: Add the Base paint

I used a Buttermilk color and just brushed it on in all different directions...look at those crackles!!! One thing to remember is once you brush on a color over crackle, don't go over that stroke again otherwise, it won't will just look cloudy. 

Step 4 & 5: Age and Seal

For the aging, I mixed a Gel Blending Medium with a Rich Espresso metallic paint. I used a sponge and just wiped it in areas that I wanted it. The gel helps the paint stay more translucent and spreadable. I then took a little piece of sandpaper and "roughed up" a couple of areas. Once that was dry, I sprayed a thin layer of a matte polyurethane to seal it. Put the hardware back on and...


Here are some bedside tables that I did last summer that are also in my bedroom. I bought these from a girlfriend's garage sale for $7 total! AND...I did take before and after pictures! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment